Switch medication from bupropion to paroxetine.
- Before day 1: Gradually reduce dosage of bupropion to a maximum of 150 mg/ day.
- Day 1: Stop administration of bupropion
- Day 2: Start paroxetine in normal dosage of 20 mg/day.
- After 3 weeks: If necessary increase dosage gradually to 30-50 mg/day.
- No wash-out period is needed.
- Bupropion slows the metabolism of paroxetine by CYP2D6.
- Bupropion and its metabolites have long elimination times, so plasma concentrations will reduce gradually.
- The interaction by CYP2D6-inhibition is not relevant because of low dosages during the switch.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.