Adding quetiapine to carbamazepine.
- Carbamazepine is principally metabolized by CYP3A4, and is a potent inducer of CYP1A2, CYP2C9, CYP3A4 and UDP-glucuronosyltransferases.
- Quetiapine is principally metabolized by CYP3A4 to active and inactive metabolites.
- Carbamazepine can reduce quetiapine serum concentration, possible below therapeutic range. 
- Add quetiapine according to the general dosing advice and increase dose based on clinical effect or serum concentration. 
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology ATC=N03AF01
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas; Toxicologie (dutch)
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas - carbamazepine (dutch)
KNMP; Informatorium Medicamentorum 2015; Monografie "carbamazepine" (Dutch)
Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "informatorium" defined multiple times with different content
- NVZA; Toxicology.org; Monografie 73 (dutch)
- Woods SW Chlorpromazine equivalent doses for the newer atypical antipsychotics J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:663-667
- Drugs.com quetiapine-fumarate
- Hasselstrom and Linnet, Quetiapine serum concentrations in psychiatric patients: the influence of comedication. Ther Drug Monit 2004;26:486-91
- Schalekamp T. et al, Interacties met Psychofarmaca, Stichting Health Base, Houten, 2002.
- Bazire S, Psychotropic Drug Directory 2007, HealthComm UK Limited, Aberdeen, 2007.
- Interactions between carbamazepine and quetiapine on drugs.com
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.