Adding carbamazepine to quetiapine.
- Quetiapine is principally metabolized by CYP3A4 to active and inactive metabolites.
- Carbamazepine is principally metabolized by CYP3A4, and is a potent inducer of CYP1A2, CYP2C9, CYP3A4 and UDP-glucuronosyltransferases.
- This combination of drugs may have possible synergistic effects. However, the pharmacokinetic drug interactions will influence the plasma levels. Dose adaptation will be recommended for this combination.
- Start carbamazepine according to the general dosing advice.
- The pharmacologic response to quetiapine should be monitored more closely. Dose adoptation of quetiapine could be necessary.
- Carbamazepine can reduce quetiapine serum concentration, possible below therapeutic range. 
KNMP; Informatorium Medicamentorum 2015; Monografie "quetiapine" (Dutch)
Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "informatorium" defined multiple times with different content
- NVZA; Toxicology.org; Monografie 73 (dutch)
- Woods SW Chlorpromazine equivalent doses for the newer atypical antipsychotics J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:663-667
- Drugs.com quetiapine-fumarate
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology ATC=N03AF01
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas; Toxicologie (dutch)
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas - carbamazepine (dutch)
- Interactions between carbamazepine and quetiapine on drugs.com
- Hasselstrom and Linnet, Quetiapine serum concentrations in psychiatric patients: the influence of comedication. Ther Drug Monit 2004;26:486-91
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.