Adding lamotrigine to risperidone.
- Risperidone is principally metabolized by CYP2D6 to an active metabolite 9-OH-risperidone (paliperidone).
- Lamotrigine is principally metabolised by UDP-glucuronosyltransferases.
- Risperidone is principally metabolized by CYP2D6 to an active metabolite.
- This combination of drugs may have possible synergistic effects. However, this combination will also have additive side effects. Dose adaptation will be recommended for this combination.
- Start lamotrigine according to the general dosing advice.
- A case report suggests that lamotrigine may increase the plasma concentrations of risperidone. 
- Pharmacologic response and serum risperidone levels should be monitored more closely whenever lamotrigine is added to or withdrawn from therapy. 
- KNMP; Informatorium Medicamentorum 2015; Monografie "risperidon" (Dutch)
- Woods SW; Chlorpromazine equivalent doses for the newer atypical antipsychotics J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:663-667
- The Lundbeck Institute; Psychotropics; Terminal Plasma Half-lives
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas; Toxicologie (dutch)
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas - lamotrigine (dutch)
Drugs.com lamotrigine Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "drugscom" defined multiple times with different content
- Bienentreu at al, Increase in risperidone plasma level with lamotrigine. Am J Psychiatry. 2005 Apr;162(4):811-2
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.
Pharmacologic response and serum risperidone levels should be monitored more closely whenever lamotrigine is added to or withdrawn from therapy, and the risperidone dosage adjusted as necessary.