Switch medication from fluoxetine to sertraline.
- Before day 1: reduce dosage of fluoxetine with about 20 mg per week.
- Day 1: when a dosage of 20 mg/day is reached, stop fluoxetine.
No wash-out period is needed.
- Day 2: start sertraline the next day in low dosage of 25 mg/day.
- Day 15: increase dosage of sertraline to 50 mg/day.
- Day 22: increase dosage of sertraline to 100 mg.
- Day 29: increase dosage of sertraline if necessary.
- Fluoxetine and its metababolite desmethyl-fluoxetine have a very long elimination time of about 1 week; phasing out fluoxetine is therefore not necessary.
- Occurrence of the serotonin syndrome is not likely, but theoretically possible, so caution is necessary.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.