Switch medication from sertraline to tranylcypromine.
- Before day 1: Gradually reduce dosage of sertraline to a maximum of 50 mg/ day, when this dosage is > 50 mg/day.
- Day 1: Reduce dosage of sertraline to a dosage of 25 mg/ day
- Day 8: Stop administration of sertraline
- Day 9-23: a wash-out period of 2 weeks is necessary.
- Day 24: start tranylcypromine the next day in a low dosage of 20 mg/day for one week.
- Day 31: after this week the dosage of tranylcypromine can be increased gradually.
- Occurrence of the serotonin syndrome is possible without wash-out period.
- The reduction of the SSRI doses in 7-14 days could cause emotional instability, headache and flu-like symptoms. One could extend this period.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.